Health and Physical Education Teacher
Advertiser: The Launceston Preparatory School
Position available at The Launceston Preparatory School
The Launceston Preparatory School is a non-denominational independent school with an enrolment of 150 students from Early Learning to Grade 6.
The position commences work from Term 1, 2022.
The successful applicant will be a skilful and caring teacher of Health and Physical Education with 3 – 12 year old students. He/she will be able to work as part of a team, have an enthusiastic attitude to learning and strong classroom management skills.
The primary duty of this position is to plan and conduct Health and Physical Education lessons for Prep – Grade 6 classes and Physical Education lessons for Kindergarten and Early Learning students.
To ensure the smooth operation of The Launceston Preparatory School Health and Physical Education program, the teacher in this position also needs to:
School Physical Education Program
- Make annual bookings for carnivals venues: grounds, pools, PCYC.
- Organise and run The Launceston Preparatory School Swimming, Cross Country and Athletics Carnivals.
- Organise buses for all school carnivals, swimming programmes, PCYC visits, roster sport and any special events.
- Organise and supervise after-school sport training (Tuesdays).
- Organise school sport development officers for sports such as basketball, cricket, squash, hockey and football, or as offered to the school.
- Manage the school’s applications for relevant grants (e.g. School Sporting Grants program)
School Health Program
- Maintain the school’s “Move Well Eat Well School” status by organising walks, displays and other relevant events.
- Organise special events and helpers for special days related to HPE such as Kick Around Tassie Day, Get Walking Tasmania, Walk Safely to School Day, Jump Rope for Heart, “Come and Play Days”, Dances/discos, etc
- Plan, organise and run the NIJSSA Swimming Carnival for two consecutive years on our rotation.
- Organise sport teams, and other teachers for each team, for the NIJSSA sport rosters.
- Select and organise teams for all NIJSSA Carnivals; organise parent help, buses and equipment.
- Attend NIJSSA meetings (usually monthly).
- Prepare and send thank you cards to parent helpers of LPS and NIJSSA carnivals.
- Maintain and keep up to date supplies in all First Aid kits.
- Maintenance of all sporting equipment.
- Order equipment as necessary after obtaining approval from the Co-Principals.
- Organise promotional voucher collection and spending where relevant.
- Attend school camps as requested.
- Host, supervise and mentor visiting University students on Professional Experience.
- Attend appropriate professional development sessions/conferences.
- Attend Parent-Teacher meetings if any are requested for this subject area.
- Compile written reports for individual children from Prep to Grade 6 twice each year as directed.
- Book annual Personal Health Education program facilitators and issue associated letters and forms.
- Keep House shields up to date. (These are to be taken for engraving and collected from Badgeworks.)
- Keep sufficient supplies of participation ribbons for all three Launceston Preparatory School Carnivals. (These are ordered from Badgeworks.)
- Be willing to undertake teaching duties in other areas when required.
- Assist with the annual end-of-year school production.
- Good communication skills, including the ability to relate to children from 3 to 12 years of age.
- Consistently maintain a professional approach with students, staff, parent helpers and the wider community at all times.
- Exceptional organisational skills necessary for efficient organisation of teams, rosters, helpers, timetables, and any duties required of the Health and Physical Education Teacher.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Exceptional time management skills to ensure that the wide variety of duties and tasks of The Launceston Preparatory School Health and Physical Education Department are completed in a timely manner.
- Exceptional recording skills necessary to maintain proper recording of the information needed for management of teams, carnivals and the information needed across all grades for formal school reporting.
- Hold a current Bronze Medallion Qualification (or equivalent) and commit to maintaining this annually.
- Hold a current First Aid Certificate. (The LPS organises a course annually prior to the start of the school year, including re-qualification of asthma and anaphylaxis training.)
- To be aware of and uphold relevant School policies.
- To maintain membership of relevant professional associations.
- Flexibility in work practices.
- Ability to promote the professional reputation of the School.
How to Apply
Applications should be emailed to email@example.com and received by COB on Wednesday 27th October, 2021.
For further information, please phone (03) 6334 0234.
IST is not an employing agency for its member schools, nor does it have any part in the selection and appointment of teachers to positions in Independent Schools. All appointments are handled entirely by the individual school. Schools should contact us to arrange for positions to be advertised on this site.
Posted on 14/10/2021