Literacy Consultant (Fixed Term)
Advertiser: Independent Schools Tasmania
Position available here at Independent Schools Tasmania based in Hobart
The broader role of Education Consultant involves a variety of face-to- face consultancies, tailored professional learning sessions, briefings, group presentations, conference facilitation and instructional coaching. The audiences for these sessions can be individuals or groups of people including principals, school executives, classroom teachers and professional support staff.
This role will involve embarking upon a project to support schools to implement and embed evidence-based, whole class literacy approaches to improve student outcomes. Experience in the analysis of school-based literacy assessment data and how to use this information to plan and implement school-based explicit and systematic literacy instruction will be essential.
The successful applicant will be responsible for developing and leading school-based professional learning and will have a thorough understanding of the empirical research underpinning the acquisition of early reading, writing and spelling skills. Extensive content knowledge of foundational literacy concepts is essential. The role will involve working in an instructional coaching capacity to support K‑12 classroom teachers and, as such, demonstrated expertise in the practical application of content knowledge to teaching and learning is necessary.
This role would suit a skilled classroom practitioner or learning support teachers/coordinator.
General Conditions of the Role
Travel: State-wide travel is a requirement of the role which involves being away overnight, at times consecutive nights.
- Working from Home/Remotely
- Great Work/Life Balance
Skills and Experience
Indicators that the role is being undertaken successfully would include:
- Outstanding professional practice, including a demonstrated capacity to guide and support schools in the analysis of data to inform the development and implementation of explicit, effective and evidence-based approaches and strategies at whole- school, whole-class and individual levels.
- Instructional coaching that is focused on supporting school executive and teachers in the education of students with literacy needs. Demonstrating, observing and providing feedback are all critical components of instructional coaching.
- Providing support and advice to independent schools in the use of literacy screening tools as well as other diagnostic assessments.
- Planning and delivering effective professional learning both face-to-face and online for staff in independent schools as well as developing associated resources.
- Representing IST and independent schools on committees and in a variety of forums.
- Contributing to and supporting a range of strategic projects within the team and across the organisation.
- Willingly undertaking other duties as required
- Highly developed organisational skills and the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously while maintaining quality and meeting timeframes.
- Well-developed interpersonal, oral and written communication skills, with an ability to engage and communicate with all stakeholders including Principals, school executives, academic and support staff and students.
- Ability to be solutions focused and data-driven in all decision making.
- Desire to be responsive and open-minded combined with a willingness to be adaptable and a preparedness to go the extra mile.
- Ability to work both collaboratively and independently within a dynamic team across different programs.
- Commitment to dealing confidentially and respectfully with sensitive information.
- Capacity to work flexibly including in the office and whilst on the road.
- A sense of humour.
Education and Experience
- Undergraduate educational qualifications and post-graduate qualifications in literacy, special education, leadership, or other relevant areas.
- Experience as a skilled classroom practitioner and/or learning support/coordinator role.
- Relevant Teacher Accreditation.
- Working with Vulnerable Children Check.
- Current Driver’s Licence
How to Apply
Apply below along with your résumé, cover letter and a response to the following questions:
- Do you have a current Working With Children (WWC) Check?
- Are you available to travel for this role when required?
- How much notice are you required to give your current employer?
- How many years’ experience do you have in a consulting role?
IST is not an employing agency for its member schools, nor does it have any part in the selection and appointment of teachers to positions in Independent Schools. All appointments are handled entirely by the individual school. Schools should contact us to arrange for positions to be advertised on this site.
Posted on 16/07/2021