Action Research Writing Instruction Project Session 1 (North)
Area of focus
9:30 am - 3:30 pm Tue 21st Feb 2023
Tailrace Centre, 1 Waterfront Drive, Riverside
Who should attend
Teachers and Literacy teachers from all Schools
Who is speaking
Recent research has found that student writing results have declined in Australia over the decade and many teachers have expressed that they do not feel confident when teaching writing.
IST has planned a sequence of systematic, practical professional learning sessions to support teachers and Literacy Leaders to build their capacity and pedagogical knowledge in the writing domain, with the aim of improving student outcomes.
Session 1 will cover:
- What current research is telling us and the aims of the Project
- An overview of 'The 6+1 Writing Traits' and how this approach can be used to develop a common language to talk about writing and allow teachers to pinpoint students’ strengths and weaknesses.
- An introduction to the first of 'The 6+1 Traits: Ideas' and how to inspire students to write.
- Unpacking of own class/school data- what is it telling you?
Explanation of task to be completed before the second session.
Please refer to the course outline for further information
What you will learn
- Focus area 1.2: Understand how students learn
- Focus area 2.1: Content and teaching strategies of the teaching area
- Focus area 2.5: Literacy and numeracy strategies
- Focus area 5.2: Provide feedback to students on their learning
- Focus area 5.4: Interpret student data
- Focus area 6.2: Engage in professional learning and improve practice
- Focus area 6.3: Engage with colleagues and improve practice
Registrations will close on Friday the 10th of February to allow sufficient time to prepare.
Attendance at all sessions within the series of 5 is recommended.
Terms and Conditions:
All participants are required to individually register to attend this session. If you do not register for the event you will not receive a certificate of attendance.
For any issues receiving your registration confirmation please check your spam/junk folder, for further assistance please email email@example.com