EALD Network Meeting - Guest Presenters from the Migrant Resource Centre
Area of focus
English as an Additional Language
9:30 am - 3:30 pm Wed 7th Jun 2023
The Grange Estate, 4A Commonwealth Lane, Campbell Town
Who should attend
English as an Additional Language Coordinators, Teachers with interest in EALD
Who is speaking
Following our successful Term 1 meeting and by request, staff from the Migrant Resource Centre will guide us through key information for educators to be aware of when supporting culturally and linguistically diverse students.
The workshop will focus on:
- The demographics of culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) youth in Tasmania
- Discussion regarding the humanitarian settlement program in Tasmania
- Introduction to the National Youth Settlement Framework
- Exploration of experiences of young people in the settlement journey
- Application of good practice capabilities
- Information on services and resources available in the Tasmanian youth sector
Presenters will link the above information to areas that relate to school communities and processes, and how teachers might be able to draw from the National Youth Settlement Framework in their work with families and young people in the educational context. Common challenges within the school context and ways schools can prevent these or support young people through them will be addressed.
What you will learn
- Focus area 1.3: Students with diverse linguistic, cultural, religious and socioeconomic backgrounds
- Focus area 4.1: Support student participation
- Focus area 6.3: Engage with colleagues and improve practice
- Focus area 7.3: Engage with the parents/carers
This session marks the second of termly state-wide EALD Network sessions, to build connections and capacity among EALD teachers and Coordinators.
Terms and Conditions:
All participants are required to individually register to attend this session. If you do not register for the event you will not receive a certificate of attendance.
For any issues receiving your registration confirmation please check your spam/junk folder, for further assistance please email firstname.lastname@example.org