Improving Writing Outcomes Project- Session 4 (South)
Area of focus
9:30 am - 3:30 pm Thu 10th Aug 2023
C3 Convention Centre, 64 Anglesea Street, South Hobart
Who should attend
Teachers from IST schools who attended previous sessions
Who is speaking
Recent research has highlighted the need for high quality professional learning options for teachers in the writing domain. Such professional learning should include building student knowledge about the qualities of good writing and explicit vocabulary instruction.
Session 4 will cover:
- Changes to the English Curriculum in V9 of the Australian Curriculum
- Data literacy - interpreting student writing results from this year’s NAPLAN results and using the data to inform practice.
- A step by step guide to writing moderation
- Using rubrics to encourage students to apply self assessment strategies
- An introduction to the Voice Trait, supporting students to understand that voice is the quality that allows a writer to assert their own way of looking at an idea.
- An introduction to the Word Choice Trait and how when writers choose a ‘perfect word’ , that is both precise and clear, it can significantly improve the quality of a piece of writing.
- How explicit vocabulary instruction can improve both reading and writing skills
- Follow up and sharing of practice and ideas from previous session
- Explanation of task to be completed before the fifth and final session
What you will learn
- Focus area 1.2: Understand how students learn
- Focus area 2.5: Literacy and numeracy strategies
- Focus area 5.2: Provide feedback to students on their learning
- Focus area 5.4: Interpret student data
- Focus area 6.2: Engage in professional learning and improve practice
- Focus area 6.3: Engage with colleagues and improve practice
This is the fourth in a series of 5 spaced, practical and interactive sessions that aim to support teachers and Literacy Leaders to build their capacity and pedagogical knowledge in the writing domain. Schools and teachers will once again be offered the opportunity to have one of our consultants visit their school to offer support, mentoring and feedback.
Terms and Conditions:
All participants are required to individually register to attend this session. If you do not register for the event you will not receive a certificate of attendance.
For any issues receiving your registration confirmation please check your spam/junk folder, for further assistance please email firstname.lastname@example.org