Reconciliation in Education Tools and Resources
Area of focus
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Histories and Cultures
9:30 am - 11:00 am Wed 10th Aug 2022
IST Board Room, Level 3⁄33 Salamanca Place, Hobart, TAS 7000
Who should attend
Who is speaking
IST has partnered with Reconciliation Australia to support educators to work towards reconciliation in the classroom, around the school and with the community.
During this session participants will learn about the concept and context of reconciliation in education through interactive activities exploring:
- Curriculum planning and the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Cross-Curriculum priority
- The Narragunnawali platform and the Reconciliation Action Plan process
- Tackling tokenism
- Acknowledging Country
Julie Bover is an early childhood and primary teacher who has worked in the education sector for 16 years. She has a Master of Education focussed on contemporary issues in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Education. Julie believes that all Australian students must have opportunities to learn about and respect Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander histories, cultures and contributions and believes this is the key to advancing reconciliation in Australia. Julie lives and works in Canberra on Ngunnawal and Ngambri Country.
What you will learn
- Focus Area 1.4—Strategies for teaching Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students.
- Focus Area 2.4—Understand and respect Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to promote reconciliation between Indigenous and non-Indigenous Australians.
- Focus Area 3.5—Use effective classroom communication.
- Focus Area 6.1—Identify and plan professional learning needs.
- Focus Area 6.2—Engage in professional learning and improve practice.
- Focus Area 6.3—Engage with colleagues and improve practice.
- Focus Area 7.4—Engage with professional teaching networks and broader communities.
Terms and Conditions:
All participants are required to individually register to attend this session. If you do not register for the event you will not receive a certificate of attendance.
For any issues receiving your registration confirmation please check your spam/junk folder, for further assistance please email firstname.lastname@example.org